Subject: Re: TransparentBackgroundForGenlock
From: Mike McCool <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: LightWave Mailing List <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 1995 19:44:53 -0700 (PDT)

> Forget ham and try using high-res 16 or 8 color display instead...it's 
> gonna seriously limit your colors, but if you choose a good dithering 
> routine, it will work much better than HAM.  I assume you are using a 
> SuperGen genlock?  I've had similar problems with my SuperGen setup and 
> the RGB Converter for my DCTV cleaned things up quite nicely.  

	I suppose I'll have to resort to this,--only I did find a trick
that works for ham.  I ended up splitting the ham anim back into all its
frames and loading them in sequence into DPaint, then using that pulldown
command, "Background >- Foreground."  Only took a few centuries to render
out all the frames,--but hey, the background came out transparent, so the
ham anim could be keyed over another vid source. 

	(And yes, I wish I had a supergen,--but what it is is a ProGen).
God, I wish the RGB converter would get here.  It's coming from Singapore 
(seriously), on a very slow boat. 
 
> Even now, if I try to genlock a ham image/animation over live video, it 
> just doesn't key through...the "color 0" appears to only be along the 
> edges and the black background just does not key through the video.  

	Of course it's hardly worth the effort to bother with the above 
trick for anims-to-be,--but if you've got any old already-created ham anims 
you want to key (and you've got a few spare years), try that DPaint 
trick.  It really does work.  

> When you get your RGB converter, you'll never use HAM mode again...it's 
> great to display small looping LightWave anims on my SuperGen in DCTV 
> format and then key them over video!  I was going to use this system on 
> my most recent LightSpeed tutorial ("Treading Water in LightWave") but 
> opted to use a Video Toaster effect instead.  =)

I swear the DCTV is the best video investment I've made so far.  And when 
that RGB converter arrives, you'll hear me hooting in hog heaven.  

(BTW, thanks, David, for that hi-res suggestion.  I should take it as a 
challenge and not be so color-spoiled).   
--
Mike McCool <[email-masked]> sent this message.
To Post a Message           : [email-masked]
Un/Subscription Requests To : [email-masked]
(DIGEST)                 or : [email-masked]
Administrative Items To     : [email-masked]